We're looking for an experienced and strategic Operations leader with a proven track record of success within Publishing to drive and improve operational strategy for our Production, Editorial Project Management, Design and Permissions teams. As the VP of Operations you will partner with key internal stakeholders from all departments throughout the organization to ensure that operational priorities are aligned with the overall strategic direction of our fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment. Our ideal candidate is a good mentor, effective communicator, thoughtful, focused, and innovative and possesses the kind of operational acumen to build effective working relationships and improve processes to yield outstanding outcomes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and direct the management of the company’s production capability, including negotiating favorable contracts with external service providers, facilitating the effective deployment of global vendor resources, measure effectiveness of all processes based on cost and schedule.
- Manage the Editorial Project Management team, ensuring effective project management processes and partnership relationships, especially with the Development Editorial and Tech Production teams.
- Direct the rights management function, assess current permissions processes and reinforce an environment of continuous improvement, keenly aware of the balance between permissions management and publishing schedules.
- Manage the AD/Design team, maintaining alignment with the Publisher’s creative vision and cost and production requirements.
- Provide overall leadership in all departments to achieve continuous improvement in all aspects of Operations.
- Oversee and manage budget related specifically to Operations departments. Allocate the necessary resources to meet external & internal commitments while maintaining budgetary control.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Experience:
- 10 - 15+ years in publishing operations with experience leading Production, Design, Project Management and Rights Management functions
- BA/ BS degree required MBA (strong plus)
- Proven experience managing and developing a high-functioning team of creative and operational individuals at the manager and direct-contributor level
- Exceptional strategic planning, budgeting analytical skills and strong business acumen to enhance profitability, productivity and efficiency
- Proven leadership and communication skills, including interpersonal skills, negotiation skills, the ability to convey a vision, and build a team to execute
- Strong understanding of publishing operations, procurement
- Competency in using relevant computer applications and platforms such as MS Office and Sharepoint
- Flexible, resilient, driven and a “roll-up the sleeves” attitude and experience; able to prioritize and organize work for self and others in a fast-paced environment with multiple demands
- Established experience creating and implementing strategic initiatives; able to see and incorporate a broad, integrated view of the organization when planning and decision-making
Why join us? We at Vista Higher Learning are proud to say that we’re not just another publisher. We’re the leading specialized language publisher for U.S. and Canadian higher education and secondary school markets whose first-hand knowledge of languages and diverse cultures sets us apart from other publishers. We’re passionate about developing educational materials that incorporate authenticity and culture. We bring a fresh new approach to teaching languages by integrating technology, design, content, and pedagogy to make learning easier, more practical, and more rewarding. With current programs in Spanish, French, Italian and German Vista Higher Learning is committed to helping people communicate across languages and cultures.
Our benefits package includes life/health/dental/vision insurance, 401(k), educational assistance, PTO and paid holidays
Vista Higher Learning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, physical or mental disability, and/or protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by applicable law.