We’re looking for an experienced, collaborative and creative Scriptwriter to support our dynamic Editorial team in the creation of short online videos for our robust language learning materials geared towards the education sector (K-12 and University level language learning). As a Scriptwriter, you are responsible for creating shoot-ready scripts that realize our culturally authentic and pedagogically accurate vision for our French, Spanish, German and Italian products. In this effort, you will work collaboratively to drive the scripting process through its various iterations to ensure concept accuracy, version control and that scripts meet our style guidelines. This is an exciting opportunity for someone looking to create original materials and contribute their knowledge of the scripting and pre/ post production process to impact the landscape of language education in the US. Ideal candidates, have substantial scriptwriting/ script-editing experience, working knowledge of French or Spanish and good project management skills.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with language, editorial and product experts to help conceptualize compelling scripted projects such as dramatic episodic video series, grammar and other tutorials, virtual chat activities as well as other needs when they arise.
- Carefully edit episode guides and Spanish & French scripts to meet guidelines for narrative interest and flow, humor, length, shoot-readiness, market appropriateness, as well as language product needs.
- Partner with Publisher, Editorial, language and product experts to explore different ideas and concepts for Company initiatives; keep all parties up-to-date with changes, trends and insights related to scriptwriting.
- Create and manage scripts for numerous, ongoing and high priority video projects that meet the Publisher’s vision and meets editorial guidelines for language learning.
- Create and manage all active scripting and video project schedules and coordinate with internal stakeholders on critical deliverable updates.
- Manage script review process between freelancers, language experts, projects managers and other key contributors as well as finalize scripts.
- Source, train and manage additional freelance writers and other script editors, as needed.
- Serve as main point of contact for external project resources, including vendors, freelancers, crew etc.
- Must be ‘on location’ for all on and off-site video shoots for script supervision and to ensure accurate execution of project vision.
- Work collaboratively and productively with numerous internal stakeholders.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years editing and tweaking scripts experience required (freelance experience acceptable)
- Strong writing and editing skills; able to translate a fluid vision/ concept into a shoot-ready script
- Knowledge of the elements of story structure, content, voice, tone and grammar
- Able to follow detailed instructions, meet tight deadlines and balance numerous high-priority and on-going deliverables
- Solid project management skills and time management skills
- Strong team player who is able to share their knowledge and contribute ideas but is also able to execute on another’s vision.
- Experience successfully managing internal and external resources
- Strong experience with and knowledge of video production and post-production processes; able to act as a knowledgeable and reliable resource
- Highly collaborative, organized and creative with strong attention to detail as well as communication and interpersonal skills
- A self-starter who can excel in a highly iterative and deadline driven environment.
- Fluency in Spanish
- Working knowledge of French is a plus.
- Ability to travel, nationally and internationally, up to 10%
- Maintains a positive and professional attitude that motivates others and promotes enthusiasm
- Flexible and can pivot easily when directions or priorities shift
- Some knowledge of the education market is a strong plus
Why join us? We at Vista Higher Learning are proud to say that we’re not just another publisher. We’re the leading specialized language publisher for U.S. and Canadian higher education and secondary school markets whose first-hand knowledge of languages and diverse cultures sets us apart from other publishers. We’re passionate about developing educational materials that incorporate authenticity and culture. We bring a fresh new approach to teaching languages by integrating technology, design, content, and pedagogy to make learning easier, more practical, and more rewarding. With current programs in Spanish, French, Italian and German Vista Higher Learning is committed to helping people communicate across languages and cultures.
Our benefits package includes life/health/dental/vision insurance, 401(k), educational assistance, commuter pass subsidies, PTO and paid holidays. Plus we offer all sorts of fun perks such as monthly chair massages, company lunches, onsite cardio, and strength training classes and much more!
Vista Higher Learning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, physical or mental disability, and/or protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by applicable law.