As a Managing Editor, you are relied on to leverage your considerable editorial expertise to define, create and manage content and project road-maps for a variety of culturally authentic World Language (French, Spanish, German & Italian) print and digital projects. In this role, you will mentor and train a small team of Development Editors and provide guidance on quality standards, pedagogy and best-practices for creating and editing culturally authentic content geared towards K-12/ Higher-Ed World Language learning. As a hands-on manager you will also contribute to the team by owning and participating in content related deliverables. In addition to strong people management, writing and editorial skills, a compelling candidate will have equally strong project management and problem solving skills, as well as possess a keen eye for grammar in English and Spanish, and is extremely detail oriented. A true passion for languages and learning is essential!
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage a small team of in-house Development Editors as well as train, direct and mentor staff on applying editorial quality guidelines.
- Supervise and train freelance editors and create budget forecasts for external costs.
- Create and manage manuscript schedules; pay strict attention to detail and keepa track of multiple ongoing high-priority projects simultaneously
- Conceptualize and plan for all aspects of large-scale World Language products (in print and digital)
- Lead projects & team meetings and develop department-wide quality guidelines and best practice procedures, including training documents.
- Create transcripts and translations of video material as well as create and manage manuscript schedules.
- Write activities and articles and copyedit materials for publication in accordance with corporate guidelines.
- Collaborate with in-house Editorial Development and Project Management teams.
- Supports the Sales and Marketing teams from an editorial perspective by acting as a product expert for teacher/ professor queries, preparing documents for and presenting at Company Sales Meetings.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Experience:
- A BA/ BS degree; advanced degree, strong plus!
- 7+ years of editorial experience in publishing coupled with a strong understanding of the American market for world-language education at either the Higher Education or Secondary level.
- 2+ years of experience managing and building highly functional editorial teams; local and remote teams.
- Must possess native proficiency (written and verbal) in English and or Spanish in addition to near native proficiency in French, Italian or German.
- Successful track record in planning, writing, and editing content for large-scale print/digital educational products with high regard to quality and schedule.
- Well-developed communication and project management skills. Demonstrates sound decision-making skills coupled with the ability to craft creative solutions to editorial challenges.
- Excellent writing, grammar, spelling, proofreading skills, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills - both written and verbally.
- Strong project management skills and experience; able to set priorities and meet deadlines for self and others.
- Ability to work in a fluid and fast paced environment with shifting priorities.
- Strong MS Word and MS Excel skills. Experience with Adobe, K4 or InDesign is a strong plus!
- Prior experience teaching is a strong plus
- A passion for travel and languages is a must!
Why join us? We at Vista Higher Learning are proud to say that we’re not just another publisher. We’re the leading specialized language publisher for U.S. and Canadian higher education and secondary school markets whose first-hand knowledge of languages and diverse cultures sets us apart from other publishers. We’re passionate about developing educational materials that incorporate authenticity and culture. We bring a fresh new approach to teaching languages by integrating technology, design, content, and pedagogy to make learning easier, more practical, and more rewarding. With current programs in Spanish, French, Italian and German Vista Higher Learning is committed to helping people communicate across languages and cultures.
Our benefits package includes life/health/dental/vision insurance, 401(k), educational assistance, commuter pass subsidies, PTO and paid holidays. Plus we offer all sorts of fun perks such as monthly chair massages, company lunches, onsite cardio, and strength training classes and much more!
Vista Higher Learning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, physical or mental disability, and/or protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by applicable law.